top of page


Joseph Cusumano, Owner of Bayside Home Inspections, LLC is a Radon Measurement Specialist and certified through the National Radon Safety Board (NRSB). The NRSB is the formal recognition of professional excellence based on qualifications, high ethical standards, and continuing education in radon services.

What is Radon?

Per the NRSB:

Radon is a radioactive gas that has been found in homes all over the United States. It comes from the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rock, and water and gets into the air you breathe. Radon typically moves up through the ground to the air above and into your home through cracks and other holes in the foundation. Radon can also enter your home through well water. Your home can trap radon inside.

Radon is a cancer-causing natural radioactive gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. Its presence in your home can pose a danger to your family’s health. Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in America and it is estimated that 21,000 lung cancer deaths annually are related to radon. Test your home for Radon. Consider fixing your home if you have radon levels between 2 and 4 pCi/L.

Are New or Old Homes More Susceptible to Radon?

The NRSB states:

Any home can have a radon problem. This means new and old homes, well-sealed and drafty homes and homes with or without basements. In fact, you and your family are most likely to get your greatest radiation exposure at home. That is where you spend most of your time.

Nearly one out of every 15 homes in the United States is estimated to have an elevated radon level (4pCi/L or more).

Who Can Test Your Home for Radon?

Hiring a professional certified by the NRSB is a good way to ensure that your testing is done correctly. Visit to find listings of Radon Measurement Specialists in your area.

Joseph Cusumano, Home Inspector & Owner of Bayside Home Inspections is a Certified NRSB Radon Measurement Specialist.

Who Can Fix Your Home For Radon?

If the levels of radon are elevated and need to be mitigated, you would want to search for a Radon Mitigation Specialist (RRS) in your area. Some states have regulations regarding licensing and certification. NRSB recommends checking the EPA website at to find your state radon contact and detailed information.

Please see below links for more information about radon:

We hope you found this information helpful in better understanding Radon. Please feel free to call us at any time with your questions or for pricing on your radon measurement services (302) 500-0130.

17 views0 comments


bottom of page